In Niles, Shoppers Are Encouraged to Stay at Home – and Shop Local
Supporting Small Business During a Pandemic is Crucial For Their Survival
As we face these unprecedented times it is more important than ever to show support for Illinois’ small businesses. From Chicago to Carbondale and Abingdon to Zion, Illinois chambers are coming together sharing resources, building community, uniting to create ‘IL’ove Local. This week-long (April 11- 18) initiative is designed to drive business to our small businesses.
Shopping local is not an annual event, nor a novelty, it must be a daily practice that makes our community stronger. We are asking you to put your money where your heart is and support the ‘IL’ove Local initiative.
Here’s why it helps: Each dollar you spend at a local, independent business returns 50 times more money to your local economy than shopping at a mega e-retailer. All across our great state small businesses provide our communities with good jobs, quality service, and the character that makes our cities, towns, and neighborhoods feel like home.
The statistics are staggering for small businesses following natural disasters, according to FEMA roughly 40-60% of small businesses will never reopen their doors. Of those that do, only 29% still operate two years later Of those that do 52% say it could take up to 3 months to recover following a natural disaster. We want to ensure that our small businesses have the support they need to reopen their doors when it is possible.
WHAT SHOPPERS CAN DO
- Follow social distancing guidelines and stay home as much as possible.
- Buy Local. Find out if your favorite local store has an online shop or reach out to them to find out how you can purchase now for pick up later.
- Buy gift cards to use later
- Take online virtual classes from your favorite local business
- Get takeout/delivery – Tip big
- Consider buying lunch/dinner for the first responders, you’ will help your local restaurants and the people who serve us all
- Buy gift cards from local businesses for your favorite waiter/waitress/bartender
- Like and share your favorite local businesses social media post
- Once you’ve purchased a gift card or meal, take a picture of it, share it on your social media and hashtag #IloveNiles #shopsmall #shopillinois #Illinoisstrong
- Maintain your memberships
This is a partnership led by the Illinois Association of Chamber of Commerce Executives, but we encourage participation from anyone that wants to be a part of supporting small business in Illinois.